My printout is blurry or smeared. What should I do?
- Make sure your paper is not damp, curled, old, or loaded incorrectly in your product.
- Use a support sheet with special paper, or load special paper one sheet at a time.
- Make sure your paper meets the specifications for your product.
- Use Epson papers to ensure proper saturation and absorption of genuine Epson inks.
- Make sure the paper type setting in your product software matches the type of paper you loaded.
- Make sure you loaded the printable side of the paper correctly for your product.
- If you are printing on thick paper or envelopes, turn on the Thick Paper setting from the control panel or select Thick Paper and Envelopes in the Extended Settings of the printer software. (Turning this setting on will decrease print speed.)
- Remove each sheet from the output tray as it is printed.
- Avoid handling printouts on glossy paper right after printing to allow the ink to set.
- Turn off any high speed settings in your product software.
- If you print on both sides of a sheet of paper, smudges may appear on the reverse side of heavily saturated or dark images. If one side of a sheet will contain a lighter image or text, print that side first. Adjust the density and/or ink drying time settings.
- Run a nozzle check to see if any of the print head nozzles are clogged. Then clean the print head, if necessary.
- Align the print head.
- Clean the paper path.
If your printouts are blurry or smeared, try these solutions:
Note: Your product will not operate properly while tilted at an angle. Place it on a flat, stable surface that extends beyond the base of the product in all directions.Related concepts
Print Head Nozzle Check
Print Head Cleaning
Aligning the Print Head Using the Product Control Panel
Selecting Basic Print Settings - Windows
Selecting Additional Layout and Print Options - Windows
Selecting Basic Print Settings - Mac
Selecting Printing Preferences - Mac
Selecting Double-sided Printing Settings - Windows
Selecting Double-sided Printing Settings - Mac
Cleaning the Paper Guide
Published: 17-Aug-2017 Was this helpful? Thank you for the feedback!