United States and Canada
Effective Date: June 30, 2023
Table of Contents
B. Information Collection
Information We Collect
Epson collects information about you when you use the Site, our Service, or interact with us in the U.S. or Canada offline, including information you provide to Epson when you register an account, update your profile, access our content, make a purchase, participate in a promotion, apply for a job, or contact customer support.
The following are examples of the types of personal information we may collect from or about you:
- Contact Data, including first and last name, email address, postal address, and phone number.
- Account Credentials, including username, password, password hints, and information for authentication and account access.
- Demographic Data, including age, gender, marital status, military and/or veteran status, disability information, salary, and country.
- Billing Data, including payment instrument number (such as a credit or debit card number), expiration date, and security code as necessary to process your payments.
- Profile Data, including interests, inferences, email marketing settings, preferences, and favorites.
- Content, including content within any messages sent to us (such as feedback and questions to customer support) or publicly posted on the Service (such as in product reviews or blog comments). We also collect content within any messages exchanged between users through the Service (such as if you use our chat functionality).
- Device Data, including data about any device registered with us, related product warranty information, and information relating to claims associated with such devices.
- Information about others, including your personal contacts that you voluntarily send information to regarding products or content offered by the Service.
We may also collect your information offline and at various locations and on various forms on the Service, including, but not limited to: registration forms for newsletters and other e-mail communications; registration for membership to the Service; registration for participation in contests, sweepstakes, auctions, surveys, or other promotions that may be offered on the Service; when you submit an inquiry via the Service; when you purchase a product from the Service; when you register your product warranty information; or when you communicate or otherwise interact with us via the Service. When you apply for a job with Epson we collect the information you provide in your job application and from your references and other sources, as further explained in the Job Applicants’ Privacy Statement Section below.
For more information with respect to the Service and the ability to customize account settings, please see the section entitled “Epson Store” below.
You have choices about the personal information you disclose to Epson, and you may elect not to submit your personal information, however, as a result, you may not be able to access certain of the Service's features and functionality.
Information Collected Automatically
In addition, we automatically collect information when you use the Service. The following are examples of the types of information we may automatically collect via the Service:
- Service Use Data, including data about features you use, pages you visit, emails and advertisements you view, products and services you view and purchase, the time of day you browse, and your referring and exiting pages.
- Device Data, including data about the type of device or browser you use, your device’s operating software, printing patterns, ink usage, your internet service provider, your device’s regional and language settings, and device identifiers such as IP address.
- Location Data, including imprecise location data (such as location derived from an IP address or data that indicates a city or postal code).
We use various technologies to automatically collect information when you use the Sites and certain other of the Services (collectively, “Tracking Technologies”), including the following:
- Log Files, which are files that record events that occur in connection with your use of the Service.
- Cookies, which are small data files stored on your device that act as a unique tag to identify your browser. We use two types of cookies: session cookies and persistent cookies. Session cookies make it easier for you to navigate our Sites and expire when you close your browser. Persistent cookies remain following a Site visit and, among other things, help with personalizing your experience, remembering your preferences, and supporting security features. Additionally, persistent cookies allow us to bring you advertising both on and off the Service. Persistent cookies may remain on your device for extended periods of time, and generally may be controlled through your browser settings.
- Pixels (also known as web beacons or clear gifs), which is code embedded in a website, video, email, or advertisement that sends information about your use of the Service to a server. When you access a website, video, email, or advertisement that contains a pixel, the pixel may permit us, or a separate entity, to drop or read cookies on your browser. Pixels are used in combination with cookies to track activity by a particular browser on a particular device. We may incorporate pixels from separate entities that allow us to track our conversions, bring you advertising both on and off the Service, and provide you with additional functionality, such as the ability to connect our Service with your social media account.
- Location-Identifying Technologies, which are technologies used to collect your imprecise location. Location data may be used, as appropriate, for purposes such as verifying your device’s location and delivering or restricting relevant content and advertising based on that location.
For further information on how we use tracking technologies for analytics and advertising, see the “Tracking Technology Choices” section below.
Information Collected From Other Sources
We may also collect information about you from other sources. The following categories are examples of the types of sources we collect personal information from:
- Data brokers or resellers from which we purchase data to supplement the data we collect.
- Social networks such as when you engage with our content, reference our Service, or grant us permission to access information from the social networks.
- Marketing Partners that offer co-branded services, sell or distribute our products, or engage in joint marketing activities.
- Publicly-available sources, including data in the public domain.
We are not responsible nor liable for the accuracy of the information provided to us by third parties or for third-party policies or practices.
C. Use of Information
We use the personal information and other data we collect for our business and commercial purposes. In particular, we use personal information to:
- Operate and manage our Service, including your registration and account.
- Perform services requested by you, such as to respond to your comments, questions, and requests, and provide customer service.
- Communicate with you, including by sending you technical notices, updates, security alerts, information regarding changes to our policies, and support and administrative messages.
- Help you to track your ink usage and printing patterns.
- Prevent and address fraud, breach of policies or terms, and threats or harm.
- Monitor and analyze trends, usage, and activities.
- Conduct research, including focus groups, surveys, and other forms of market research.
- Improve the Service, apps, marketing efforts, products, and services.
- Develop and send you direct marketing, including advertisements and communications about our and other entities’ products, offers, promotions, rewards, events, and services.
- Conduct product promotions, including verifying your eligibility and delivering prizes in connection with your entries.
- Send you advertising based on your interests as reflected in your browsing of the Sites and use of the Service, and certain third-party sites participating in the same advertising networks and exchanges.
- Manage a job application when you apply for a job with Epson.
- Comply with the law, such as to satisfy tax or legal reporting obligations, to exercise or enforce our rights and to protect Epson and others.
Notwithstanding the above, we may use information that does not identify the data subject (including information that has been anonymized, aggregated or de-identified) for any purpose except as prohibited by applicable law.
D. Disclosure of Personal Information
- Service Providers. We may disclose information with entities that process information on our behalf (“Service Providers”). Service Providers assist us with services such as payment processing, data analytics, marketing and advertising, website hosting, and technical support.
- Vendors and Other Parties. We may disclose information with vendors, including analytics and advertising technology companies, that may act as our service providers, or in certain contexts, independently decide how to process your information. For more information on advertising and analytics, see the “Tracking Technology Choices” section below.
- Customers. We may disclose information with our business customers in connection with us processing information on their behalf, subject to our obligations to them and under applicable law. For example, we disclose information with our business customers in order to facilitate your orders, maintain and administer your online accounts, respond to your questions and comments, comply with your requests, market and advertise to you, and otherwise comply with applicable law. This may be in the context of acting as their service provider and we are not responsible for their data collection, practices or policies.
- Co-Promotional Partners. We may disclose information with our partners in connection with offering co-branded services, selling, or distributing our products, or engaging in joint marketing activities. For example, we may disclose information to our retail partners for purposes of providing you with requested product support.
- Promotions. When you voluntarily enter a sweepstakes, contest, or other promotion, we may disclose information as set out in the official rules that govern the promotion as well as for administrative purposes and as required by law (e.g., on a winners list), subject to any additional notices presented at the time you enter into the promotion.
- Public Forums. We may disclose information you make public through the Service, such as information you voluntarily disclose in your profile or that you choose to post on public boards, such as when you write a comment on our Sites. Please think carefully before making information public as you are solely responsible for any information you make public. Once you have posted information on a public board, you may not be able to edit or delete such information.
- Merger or Acquisition. We may disclose information in connection with, or during negotiations of, any proposed or actual merger, purchase, sale or any other type of acquisition or business combination of all or any portion of our assets, or transfer of all or a portion of our business to another business, or a financing or other corporate transaction.
- Security and Compelled Disclosure. We may disclose information to comply with the law or other legal processes, and where required, in response to lawful requests by public authorities, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements. We also disclose information to protect the rights, property, life, health, security, and safety of us, the Service or anyone else.
- Facilitating Requests. We may disclose information at your request or direction, such as when you choose to disclose information with a social network about your activities on the Service.
- Consent. We may disclose information with notice to you and your consent.
We may disclose deidentified, anonymized, or aggregated information internally and to third parties for any purpose, to the extent not prohibited by law. We will do our best to ensure the information will not identify you individually and otherwise comply with our obligations under applicable law, but we do not make assurances that such information is not capable of re-identification. However, we will not attempt to re-identify any information that we identify as de-identified information.
E. Social Media and Technology Integration
The Service may contain links to third-party websites or mobile apps, or other services, that are not operated or controlled by Epson, including plugins from social media platforms and other third parties (“Third-Part Services”). Some examples of links to a third-party website include those websites operated by our vendors, Service Providers, suppliers, advertisers, sponsors, licensors, and other third parties. Examples of social media plugins are the Facebook “Like” button and the option to “share” the website through your email, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and YouTube (“Social Features”). The inclusion of these Social Features on the Service does not imply any endorsement of the activities or content of the related websites, apps, or social media platforms, nor any association with their operators. To learn about the information collected by the Third-Party Services, including what information they collect from you, information they may disclose to us, your rights and choices on their services, and whether they store information in the U.S. or elsewhere, please carefully review their respective privacy policies. Some examples include:
- Links. Our Service may include links to websites, platforms, and other services not operated or controlled by us. We may disclose or receive your personal information when you interact with such websites, platforms, and other services.
- Liking, Sharing, and Logging-In. We may embed a pixel or SDK on our Service that allows you to “like” or “share” content on, or log-in to your account through social media. If you choose to engage with such integration, we may receive information from the social network that you have authorized to disclose to us. Please note that the social network may also independently collect information about you through the integration.
F. Network Advertising and Retargeting
Epson participates in online advertising networks and exchanges that display relevant advertisements to site visitors, including based on their interests as reflected in their browsing of the Sites and certain third-party sites and other data, including but not limited to networks and exchanges operated by Yahoo, Microsoft/Bing, Facebook/Meta, and Google. These companies may use Tracking Technologies to passively collect information from you which may be used to tailor the advertising you see on the Sites or elsewhere on the web. This means that some information about your browsing of the Service and certain third-party sites may be disclosed to these companies for the purpose of delivering ads to you on the Service and certain third-party sites, and Epson may receive from some of these companies’ information about third party sites that you have visited. This information is used for marketing purposes and the practice is sometimes termed “interest-based advertising” or "retargeting."
You can also learn more about opting out of network advertising retargeting below under the “Tracking Technology Choices” section below.
G. Your Communication Preferences, Rights and Choices
You may access, update, or remove certain information that you have provided to us through your account by visiting your account settings. Please note that we will retain and use information about you as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements and for other business purposes such as record keeping.
Epson provides several means for you to opt-out of receiving commercial e-mails from Epson. If you do not wish to receive e-mail notices promoting our products or services, you may opt-out at the time you provide your Personal Information to us. You may also opt-out through any commercial e-mail you receive from Epson by selecting the "unsubscribe" or similar option included with each e-mail. To opt-out of direct mailings, we will provide you with a postage paid opt-out card with any promotional offers we mail to you. Please note that your opt-out is limited to the email address used and will not affect subsequent subscriptions or non-promotional e-mails (e.g., safety notices, responses to your inquiries, etc.).
Tracking Technology Choices
- Tracking Technologies. Some browsers and devices accept Tracking Technologies by default. Certain Tracking Technologies may generally be disabled or removed by tools available as part of most commercial browsers, and in some instances blocked in the future by selecting certain settings. Browsers offer different functionalities and options, so you may need to set them separately on each browser and device you use. Please be aware that if you disable or remove these technologies, some parts of the Service may not work and that when you revisit the Service your ability to limit browser-based Tracking Technologies is subject to your browser settings and limitations.
- Do Not Track. Your browser settings may allow you to automatically transmit a “Do Not Track” signal to online services you visit. Note, however, there is no industry consensus as to what site and app operators should do with regard to these signals. Accordingly, unless and until the law is interpreted to require us to do so, we do not monitor or take action with respect to “Do Not Track” signals. For more information on “Do Not Track,” visit http://www.allaboutdnt.com. We do not treat “Do Not Track” signals as a global privacy control (“GPC”) signal.
- App and Location Technologies. You can stop all collection of information via an app by uninstalling the app. You can also reset your device Ad Id at any time through your device settings, which is designed to allow you to limit the use of information collected about you.
Please be aware that if you disable or remove Tracking Technologies some parts of the Service may not function correctly.
We may also use Microsoft Advertising Services and/or Google Ad Services. Google provides tools to allow you to opt out of the use of certain information collected by Google Analytics at https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout and by Google Analytics for Display Advertising or the Google Display Network at https://www.google.com/settings/ads/onweb/. To learn more about the data Microsoft collects and how your data is used by it and to opt-out of certain Microsoft browser Interest-based Advertising, please visit https://privacy.microsoft.com/en-us/privacystatement.
In addition, most of the companies we work with to provide you with targeted ads are participants of the Digital Advertising Alliance (“DAA”) and/or the Network Advertising Initiative (“NAI”). To learn more about the targeted ads provided by these companies, and how to opt out of receiving certain targeted ads from them, please visit:
- For website targeted ads from DAA participants, https://www.aboutads.info/choices;
- For app targeted ads from DAA participants, https://www.aboutads.info/appchoices;
- For targeted ads from NAI participants, https://www.networkadvertising.org/choices/. Opting out only means that the selected participants should no longer deliver certain targeted ads to you, but does not mean you will no longer receive any targeted content and/or ads (e.g., in connection with the participants’ other customers or from other technology services).
You may also limit our use of information collected from or about your mobile device for purposes of serving targeted ads to you by going to your device’s privacy settings.
In addition, we may serve ads on other online services that are targeted to reach people on those services that are also identified on one or more of our databases (“Matched List Ads”). This is done by using Tracking Technologies or by matching common factors between our databases and the databases of the other online services. For instance, we may use such ad services offered by Facebook/Instagram/Meta or Twitter and other Third-Party Services. We are not responsible for these Third-Party Services, including without limitation the security of the data. If we use Facebook to serve Matched List Ads on Facebook services, you should be able to hover over the box in the right corner of such a Facebook ad, or go to your account settings, and find out what options Facebook offers you to control such ads. If we use Twitter Matched List Ads, you should be able to review your ad options in account settings on Twitter. We are not responsible for such third parties’ failure to comply with your or our opt-out instructions, they may not give us notice of opt-outs to our ads that you give to them, and they may change their options without notice to us or you.
Please note that if you opt out using any of these methods, the opt out will only apply to the specific browser or device from which you opt out, so you will need to opt-out on each browser and device you use. Also, if you clear or block cookies you may lose your opt-out settings. We are not responsible for the effectiveness of, or compliance with, any opt out options or programs, or the accuracy of any other entities’ statements regarding their opt out options or programs.
H. Sweepstakes, Contests and Promotions
Epson may offer sweepstakes, contests, and other promotions (any, a "Promotion") through the Service that may require registration. By participating in a Promotion, you are agreeing to the terms, conditions or official rules that govern that Promotion, which may contain specific requirements of you, including, except where prohibited by law, allowing the sponsor(s) of the Promotion to use your name, voice and/or likeness in advertising or marketing associated with the Promotion. If you choose to enter a Promotion, your personal information may be disclosed to third parties or the public in connection with the administration of such Promotion, including, without limitation, in connection with winner selection, prize fulfillment, and as required by law or permitted by the Promotion's official rules, such as on a winners list.
I. Children's Privacy Protection
Epson is aware of the heightened need to protect the privacy of children under the age of 13. The Service is not intended for children and is not targeted to children under the age of 13. Epson does not knowingly collect personal information from children (as defined by the U.S. Children’s Privacy Protection Act, or “COPPA”). If you are a parent or guardian and you believe we have collected personal information from your child in a manner not permitted by law, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will delete the personal information to the extent required by applicable laws. We do not knowingly “sell,” as that term is defined under the CCPA, the personal information of minors under 16 years old who are California residents.
J. The Epson Store
The Epson Store is a section of our Site that allows you to purchase Epson products online. The Epson Store is designed to give you options concerning the privacy of your information. If you choose, you can set up an account, where you will provide certain personal information. To protect your privacy, we have designed the Epson Store to include certain steps to verify your identity before granting you access or enabling you to make changes to your account. After logging into your account, you will have access to your account information and the ability to view, update, or change it at any time. To access your information, you will need to use a password. When purchasing products from the Epson Store, the order form will also ask you to provide a daytime telephone number. A telephone number is requested so we can quickly resolve questions related to an order, such as to clarify customer orders or to notify a customer of backorder status. We and our credit card processors take steps to protect your credit card information, including using tokenization.
K. Data Security
Epson takes commercially reasonable steps to help protect and secure personal information. However, no data transmission over the Internet, wireless transmission or electronic storage of information can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. Please note that we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information we collect, and you use our Service and provide us with your information at your own risk.
L. Disability Accommodations
M. Data Relating to Data Subjects in the United Kingdom / European Economic Area / Switzerland
N. Changes to this Policy
O. Job Applicants’ Privacy Statement
When you apply for employment with Epson, we process your personal information (“PI”) as explained in this section. We will refer to job applicants as “Candidates.” Epson relies on lawful grounds to collect, use, and process Candidates’ PI. These lawful grounds include (to the extent permitted by applicable laws) (i) our legitimate business purposes and interests; (ii) your consent; (iii) compliance with applicable laws; (iv) the exercise of our legal rights and obligations in connection with your potential employment; and (v) other lawful grounds provided by applicable laws and regulations. Nothing in this section is intended to reduce or take away any rights or protections Candidates may have under applicable privacy laws. If anything in this section is inconsistent with any such laws, the relevant legal right or protection shall prevail.
Personal Information we collect
When you apply for a position at Epson, you provide us with your PI, such as your name, address, phone number, email etc. When you apply directly on our website, we may gather information from using cookies and other tracking technologies. You can find details about these technologies in the “Information Collected Automatically” paragraph of Section B above. We may also collect your PI from other sources, such as publicly available information (i.e., information available in social media platforms, such as LinkedIn), from recruitment agencies, credit reference agencies, other background check agencies, and your current and former employers. If we are unable to access and use PI about you, we may not be able to process your application or engage with you as a Candidate.
How we use Candidates’ Personal Information
We may access, use, and store your PI as necessary to carry on our legitimate business purposes, such as to assess your job application, so we can determine your qualifications and eligibility for a position with Epson. We may also use your PI to communicate with you about the status of your job application. If your job application is successful and you accept a position at Epson, we may use the PI you provided in your job application to, for example and as appropriate, process background checks. Where required by law, we may ask you for your written consent to allow us to process certain PI, including any sensitive PI, and only those Epson personnel with a need to know will have access to such information.
How long we keep your Personal Information and how we secure it
We will process your information for the duration of your time as a Candidate and as we process your job application. Whether you are offered a job with Epson or not, we will retain your information afterwards as permitted by law and only as reasonably necessary to fulfill the purposes we collected it for, including for the purposes of satisfying any legal, HR, regulatory, tax, accounting, or reporting requirements, or as otherwise agreed by you upon your consent. Epson protects the security and confidentiality of your PI by implementing necessary controls according to the sensitivity of the PI being processed as part of your job application. Such controls include encryption, access restrictions, and other technical and organizational measures to protect your PI. Only those Epson personnel with a need to know will have access to your PI as necessary to manage your job application.
Category of PI
Examples of PI Collected
Full legal name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifiers, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, e-mail address, social security number, driver’s license number, passport number, telephone number, emergency contact information, device identifier, and account name.
Personal Records, Commercial Information
Full legal name, signature, address, telephone number, financial information (e.g., payment card information), and drug and alcohol screening results (such as for candidates seeking employment at the Epson Distribution Centers). Some PI included in this category may overlap with other categories.
Personal Characteristics or Traits
In some circumstances, we may collect PI that is considered protected under the CCPA or other U.S. laws, such as age, gender, sex, sexual orientation, citizenship status, nationality, race, religion, marital status, veteran status, or information related to medical conditions and disabilities.
Internet Usage Information
When you use our website or otherwise interact with us online, we may collect browsing history, search history, browsing time, URLs, and other information regarding your interaction with our systems or other sites, applications, or content.
If you use our systems or interact with us online we may gain access to the approximate location of the device or equipment you are using, or the location from which you are accessing our systems.
We may collect audio, electronic, or similar information such as via our video security recordings.
Professional or Employment Information
Professional, educational, or employment-related information, including resume, qualifications, work experience, compensation history, language abilities, areas of expertise, education and training history, professional memberships, awards and prizes, references, and other similar information. We may also collect job title, photograph, performance reviews, records of roles performed and applied for, appraisal and evaluation records, disciplinary and accident information, special work environment requests, training/curriculum records, travel history, expense details, and vaccination information.
Education records directly maintained by an educational institution or party acting on its behalf, such as grades, transcripts, class lists, schedules, identification codes, financial information, or disciplinary records.
Inferences from PI Collected
We may draw inferences from other information we collect about you, such as your aptitudes, and interests.
Government Issued ID Numbers (social security, driver’s license, state ID card, or passport number). Personal Characteristics (racial or ethnic origin, religious or philosophical beliefs, or union membership) Personal Characteristics (racial or ethnic origin, religious or philosophical beliefs, or union membership). Biometric Information (the processing of biometric info for the purpose of uniquely identifying an individual). Health Information, such as disability information, allergies and intolerances, and medical and ongoing health conditions. We may also collect health information in relation to COVID-19 screening efforts at physical office locations.
There may be additional information we collect that meets the definition of PI under the CCPA but is not reflected by a category above, in which case we will treat it as PI as required by law but will not include it when we describe our practices by PI category below.
Candidates’ PI Collection Purpose
We collect and use Candidate’s PI only to the extent allowed by applicable laws. As such, we collect and use Candidate’s PI as necessary to recruit new employees for Epson and to manage our recruitment system. Specifically, we collect, use, and process Candidates’ PI for the purposes described below. Our legal basis for processing Candidates’ PI is based on our legitimate business purposes, to fulfill a contractual obligation, and to comply with applicable laws. For example, it is within our legitimate business interests to verify if you are suitable for the position you have applied for, so you can perform the required job tasks. It is also within our legitimate interests to confirm your education and employment history, so we can confirm your suitability for the role applied for at Epson.
Example(s) of Processing Purpose
Review and manage your job application, and to communicate with you
Review your qualifications to determine your eligibility for a position; communicate with you about your job application; organize and conduct job interviews with you; send you updates about the status of your job application.
Verify your identity
Review your information to prevent fraud; review your information to make sure you are the actual individual who submitted the job application, verify your eligibility to work in the country where you applied for a job.
Comply with applicable laws
Verifying your ability to work in the country in which you applied for employment; comply with equal rights and opportunities laws; respond to law enforcement and regulators inquiries, and to satisfy legal, tax, accounting, or reporting obligations.
For diversity and inclusion analysis and insights
Monitor data related to diversity and inclusion so that Epson can offer a diverse and inclusive work environment. Monitor diversity and equal treatment and opportunity. To provide work related accommodations or adjustments.
Background checks verification
Conduct background checks as allowed under the law to complete any necessary credit checks, and to verify any criminal history. We will only collect and process information about criminal convictions if it is appropriate given the nature of the role and as allowed under applicable laws, or if you have explicitly consented to the same, and we will delete such information after the screening process, unless we are legally required to store the information for a longer period.
How we share your Personal Information
Epson may share Candidate’s PI for legitimate business purposes. We may share your PI within Epson and our affiliates as we evaluate your job application. In some case, we may share your PI with our service providers, and to comply with legal obligations. For example, we may share PI with an Epson affiliated company for purposes of recruiting and evaluating Candidates. We may also share your PI with our service providers engaged by us to perform services related to the processing of your job application, such as background check service providers, health and safety expert, benefits providers and government agencies (i.e. for equal opportunity reporting). The service providers we share your PI with are contractually required to safeguard the information they receive. Additionally, we may share your PI as necessary to respond to a legal request, such as subpoena or court order.
See the Contact Us section below for more information on how to reach Epson for privacy-related questions, comments, or concerns.
P. Contact Us
Epson America, Inc.,
Attn: Privacy Coordinator,
3131 Katella Avenue,
Los Alamitos, CA 90720
Please do not include any sensitive information in your e-mail or written correspondence with us.